Friday, June 27, 2014

A feeble body a strong mind

A feeble body
A strong mind
June 27, 2014
By: Gina Yoryet Roman



Today is an utmost important day because ‘HERspectives, Rules and Tools that Build Successful Women - How I Created Work, Life Balance,’ published/launched. This contribution as a writer is by far one of the most remarkable events in my life (until I write my next book). Since I learned to write I never let go of this soul and mind soothing therapy that was always nothing more than a guided dream.

I still haven’t fully assimilated things yet I don’t know why? The same way I am still doubtful about my ‘fitness’ photo shoot first thing tomorrow morning and the health and fitness radio interview/talk scheduled towards the end of July. In better times (physically), I would’ve been enthused about striking a pose for the camera. NOT now! I am still happy but more than anything, I have mixed emotions, I am dreading those couple of hours for the following reasons.

1. I haven’t done a photo shoot in two years and am feeling very insecure!! I don’t have another choice than face my fears until the rain in my mind subsides
2. I am not even close to depicting health or fitness (the last couple of weeks I’ve gone through constant work related stress and on top of that, my operated knee hasn’t healed completely a year and a half post surgery. Therefore, I have had very random work outs - only twice a week for the last two months).
3. The infection in my eye is still somewhat visible.
4. The hideous sun spots on my face are starting to barely fade.
5. And a million other reasons.

I could solve all those issues with photo shop or air brush but I am seriously debating, inclining more towards NO because I have NEVER used them. Then why bother now? As opposed to concentrating on my physical weaknesses, I’ll do the best I can with the good aspects, embrace my fuller body, love it and celebrate another victory, another milestone as I get closer to another decade.

In spite of being physically feeble, my mind is going through a bout of strength. Nevertheless, I would never give up that mental soundness, not in a million years.

Like throughout my athletic career when I prided myself with hard rock abs, very toned muscles all around,  a very resilient and attractive physique, yet all along I longed for mental peace...

“I never confessed this to anyone but during all or most of my high-intensity season trainings up in the mountains at  Howarth Park in Santa Rosa, on the Sacramento River trail, at Mckinley park, or at the stadium in Sacramento City College, Sacramento State University, or during most of my state meets and competitions, I constantly prayed silently and did a lot of self-talk. Time after time, I asked God to manifest his unconditional love to me by helping me find my (his) way. I asked him to reach out to me not based on my appearance, my intelligence, the color of my skin, my social status, or my  failures but based on the grounds of being another one of his disoriented children who wanted to serve his purpose, yet those talks went ‘unanswered.'"

I possibly denied myself from sensing and seeing his intense, direct and clear presence.  I kept telling myself, “I have the right attire worthy of a competitive and professional athlete and I’ve done quite well at keeping at a physically fitness level...yet, I long for mental fitness which is as equally important to compete for God’s glory. If my head is not fully in him, I will always lose.” 

I don’t want that to ever happen again! With this prior experience in hand, I will do whatever it takes to avoid being sidetracked. This post helped me assuage my fears, gave me the courage to look at tomorrow right in the eye and prevail because I can now see myself through the eyes of God...

This is one of my favorite quotes.

“I've been absolutely terrified every moment of my life - and I've never let it keep me from doing a single thing I wanted to do.”
Georgia O’Keeffe

1 comment:

jendauvergne said...

Very inspiring indeed!