Saturday, June 1, 2013

What a Writer Needs


What a Writer Needs
June 1st, 2013
By: Gina Yoryet Roman



I am very lucky to find myself making just a little time (I’m waiting for a friend of mine to pick me up in exactly an hour) to write after six very tough and nonstop work weeks. It’s really been six or seven days since I last posted but it feels more like months. 

I was first invited to do an advanced writing workshop for nonnative speakers of English for a school event that took place this past Thursday and Friday. 
“Yes, no, yes, no, ok, never mind, I am very busy, I can’t, ok, I will do it.” After feuding with my fears and insecurities, After getting myself together, I accepted...

Later this week ‘What a Writer Needs,’ the title for my one hour seminar was created while trying to come up with an attractive name. ‘Writing with style,’ and the ‘What a Writer Needs,’ were the two that I found the most befitting so here is the outcome.

The strongest reason why I was very close to saying no, is the panic and lack of self-confidence that always invade me when it comes to standing up and speaking in front of a group. Believe it or not, one of my greatest fears in life, is public speaking!! I normally step up and challenge myself with things some women wouldn’t. “Why am I terrified of public speaking? Because I am very vulnerable and transparent when I am the center of attention, even more when I get to speaking, I feel as though every single person in my audience will look right through me and define my flaws and weaknesses and they reject me. Acceptance is a very strong word and it impacted me when I was growing up.  I am afraid that I will get tongue twisted and won’t be able to utter a single word. 

This time I had to experience two days of panic, inhaling, exhaling slowly to control my nerves and telling myself that everything would be just fine. And it was...
After NOT letting myself be controlled by dread, I am/was very satisfied with the outcome and so were my attendees who gave me very positive feedback.

This is what I touched base on:

BRIEF INTRO: Of my writing experience and how I got entwined into it. 

Opening: 
Round table: What does a Writer Need to be a good Writer? Or, What Makes someone a good Writer?

One of the most important steps to improve writing skills is expanding the use of more descriptive language when putting your ideas on paper. Your mind has to be warmed up before you can deliver a well-expressed opinion and/or report. “Think About playing a sport, you know that you play best when your body is warmed up.” Or, “Imagine writing well, it is a lot like playing an instrument well. It requires practice.” Sue Young, Scholastic Guides. 

Review the 4 P’s:

  1. PLAN: Where, what writing style will it be: newspaper, magazine, business report, essay, what form will you use, what research needs to be done advance, which form of organization is more appropriate for your project, your audience, etc.
  2. PRODUCE: a paper that reflects: Good grammar, clear thoughts, appropriate genre style and use of vocabulary.
  3. POLISH: Your work, check grammar, punctuation, spelling, word choice, etc.
  4. PRESENT: Your best effort with organization, proper source notations, an attractive look that invites others to read and enjoy your paper, etc.

CONSIDER:

** What should a nonnative speaker/writer of English always have to keep in mind as it is of high importance when delivering your ideas? **

DETACH: From your native language
SEPARATE: The two languages
DO NOT TRANSLATE: In Spanish we use a lot of unnecessary words. Translating verbatim would NEVER work because the purpose is lost and your main ideas may not be delivered as clearly and concisely.

This was the biggest problem I encountered when I first started my writing affair - without me realizing it. I still do that every now and then.

THINGS TO AVOID: NOT a rule of thumb to NOT use:
I think, I believe, my opinion, I am going to present, I am going to talk about, this paper is to talk about/narrate, I am going to summarize, etc.

WHY? Because your ideas, opinions, beliefs, are being reported in your paper. Therefore, it is irrelevant to use those redundancies. 

CLOSING:
A pair activity: Describe a city, a fish, a place, something in particular. Use as many adjectives as possible, make your words deliver a very vivid image of what you are telling.  


MY OWN FEEDBACK/OBSERVATIONS/COMMENTS

  1. I was the only one who didn’t put on a nice colorful power point presentation. I hate technology, I was nervous enough to go through more embarrassment due to my lack of technological abilities.
  2. I forgot to write my name and email address on the board until someone asked me for them.
  3. I was overly nervous and a few important things to avoid totally went past me.

This is just me being critical as usual but the overall comments and feedback were very encouraging so that makes me a very happy Gina Yoryet...


Sources:
2) ‘What a Writer Needs,' by Ralph Fletche
3) 'Writing with Style,' by Scholastic Guide
4) ‘The Proofreading Handbook,’ 2nd Edition by Laura Anderson
5) ‘Why You Should Communicate Effectively - Advanced Composition notes
6) ‘Running Ahead - The Impact of Physical Inactivity,' by Gina Yoryet Roman with the collaboration of Tamar Roman-Jorgensen. Research done for California State University of Sacramento. Original investigation reported on March 2011





No comments: