Monday, July 30, 2012

F. S. S. P.


F. S. S. P.
July 29, 2012
By: Gina Yoryet Román

I was first introduced to The Priestly Fraternity of Saint Peter over three years ago by a friend who is now living in México City. At that given moment I was doubtful whether or not to renew my vows with Catholicism (other religions never interested me but I had distanced myself from my own) as an intense inner battle hindered my intentions.
Mass was then left behind only attending randomly with this excuse, “It’d be more hypocritical of me to attend when I don’t feel like it than stay home and deliberately get caught up on something else.”

After infinite prayers, and countless attempts to rescue myself, my wounds eventually healed and my faith prevailed. On a good day almost a year ago to be more precise, I set a personal goal to not miss a single Sunday mass. But as the most imperfect perfectionist I am, that time my expectations of G. Y. were greater. Holding higher standards of me has always pushed me, albeit this time little did I know that it’d be harder as mass is in Latin and to be honest, I am still somewhat lost. I get a few bits and pieces here and there. Not being able to get the full scope of mass is a bit annoying but it is another learning lesson, besides the scenario was similar when I started going to English mass when I lived in Sacramento. 

Among my list of commitments to be a more fervent Catholic were these: 

1) Attend mass regularly (during the week and weekends).
2) Pray daily or read the bible FIRST thing in the morning.
3) Get confessed more frequently (I’ve always detested to get confessed, it is embarrassing and uncomfortable).
4)  Be more humble, patience, have more faith and think about others’ needs.
5)  Don’t get caught up in this vain, empty and materialistic society and don’t let the most crippling disease spread on to me; “I want, I need, I have to have, I am first, I feel, I, I, I…”
6) Be more giving, do more volunteer work.
7) Be more accepting with my purpose and don’t ask “Why?”
8) Listen more
9) Lead my heart and don’t follow it.
10) Don’t covet more and stop overeating junk food.
11) Feed my soul, mind, heart and spirit with my faith instead
12) Sacrifice, sacrifice and sacrifice just like professional athletes when they go after the gold medal. 

Eleven months later, the result to those prayers I had in my heart for many years were answered. I am slowly taking my Catholic vows to another level. Even though it has not been easy now I know that God will guide and direct me in my world’s daily activities and affairs, the thoughts and desires of my heart. My faith will help me see things not as men do or teach but as he wants me to. He will help me get closer to the person I was meant to become. That faith will lift me up so that I can perhaps lift up others and help them find physical, mental, spiritual and emotional health.

I personally have been lifted because of that effort and I now have a much clearer vision of the whole picture even if at times I may not know what the future holds I certainly know who holds my future. Now I have the privilege and opportunity of knowing Father K. F. and Father J. R., who I met at Capellanía de San Pedro, diocese Guadalajara, Tapalpa. They are a symbol of discipline, strength and self control.

I’ve never expressed it to them personally but interacting with them regularly I get to witness how giving and caring they are to the world and their community, their society and their parishioners; they are always standing by us to reach out when we stray. They always listen with the heart and teach us that those who have less offer the most and before we can even think about changing our world, change must start within. Those who have less are the most appreciative; they are happy to be alive as each day holds a new promise and gives us many chances to start a new, be content and make peace with life with the simple things.


They’ve enticed me to look at life from another perspective and leave behind the materialistic and superficial aspects that humans have a tendency to recline towards. But most important of all I’ve learned to treat my body like a temple.
Ten years ago I prioritized friendships that didn’t take me anywhere, in prior relationships the visual and physical aspects always conquered my sight, in family and spiritual matters I was very disconnected, selfish and vain.

Now my priorities have taken a different turn:
1)     God, attending mass and being a better human being.
2)     Work and my family
3)     Give a lending hand to those in need
4)     My hobbies: Writing, reading, working out, praying, doing volunteer work and traveling when time allows it. 

Since I became more given life has been more assuaged especially the last couple of months as I taught English to two seminarians from F. S. S. P. They bring many joyful moments; they projected so much peace and contentment with the best in life. They kept me in balance and motivated me to pull away from ‘el capricho humano.´
Every time I go through a pity party because I can’t have more or because life is so ‘dull,’ Father K. F. Father J. R. and those two focused young men knock on my head and make me come back to reality.

The time spent with them symbolizes the peace and faith I sometimes lack and I keep thinking that A. A. C. Z. is soon departing to The Dominican Republic. I can’t help get caught up between an angst of solitude and sadness knowing that our paths may not cross ever again. At the same time I am happy because perhaps another great lifetime friendship has flourished. And P. A. who has taught me a taintless lesson: be a better human being, always be humble and caring towards others and be thankful for the simplicity of life…

Love thy neighbor as thyself.

Fraternidad Sacerdotal de San Pedro
The Priestly Fraternity of St. Peter is a Clerical Society of Apostolic Life of Pontifical right, that is, a community of Roman Catholic priests who do not take religious vows, but who work together for a common mission in the world.  The mission of the Fraternity is two-fold:  first, the formation and sanctification of priests in the cadre of the traditional liturgy of the Roman rite, and secondly, the pastoral deployment of the priests in the service of the Church.
The Fraternity was founded on July 18, 1988 at the Abbey of Hauterive (Switzerland) by a dozen priests and a score of seminarians.  Shortly after the Fraternity’s foundation and following upon a request by Cardinal Ratzinger, Bishop Joseph Stimpfle of Augsburg, Germany granted the Fraternity a home in Wigratzbad, a Marian shrine in Bavaria that now lodges the Fraternity’s European seminary. In the same month of October there arrived a handful of priests and some thirty seminarians ready to start "from scratch".  There are currently almost 200 priests and 110 seminarians in the Fraternity.
Website: www.fsspmx.org
http://www.fssp.org/en/index.htm
http://www.fssp.org/en/presentation.htm

1 comment:

Isaac Díaz Mendoza said...

Life... well God is quite curious.

I've been attending Latin Mass or TLM (Traditional Latin Mass) for over 3 years now, and i always get amazed of other people stories about meeting the Mass and the FSSP.

I too got to meet them by a friend, one of my best, who now lives in another country and at the beginning, i thought there was gonna be a dark church with hooded people and candles ( go figure :P ) but it was actually very normal. I remember i didn't follow any part of the Mass till the fourth time but since the beginning i felt good, i felt that these people really believed the presence of God; i recall myself thinking: They really take it seriously, they really treat Jesus as a King, as a God

I fell in love with that liturgy, as time went by i was invited to serve the altar, then well... there is a lot to tell, now i try to go whenever i can.

They taught me to take love seriously, i wasn't a scumbag, shallow guy, but the whole concept of sacrificing, of making the best out of each detail, to give for others, to be patient, to offer things to god, care for the souls (one's soul and from others too) was definitely taken to another level. And since i always thought that doing anything for my friends (in the good sense) even if it would get me in troubles was worth it, then i started to think that i should do the same for God, be willing to love, know, and serve God...

Practically the FSSP and those two priests you mentioned made me convert from light catholic to true catholic.

Still a battle in many fronts, still struggling, still ignorant in soooo many ways, still a small man but with the will to love and fight.

I never got to understand that part of Saint Paul about racing and winning in the faith till these years, and i bet you get the most out of it, since you know what it is to sacrifice, discipline to get in shape, to do not only what's right but the best... and no surprise the same applies to the soul, the spiritual life.

And well, seminarians... hahahaha that's a whole other story... so grateful to them, so thankful to God also for them.

It's no good think in departure as the end of the road, i mean, you weren't even aware that you would meet them or learn so much for them and yet it happened... might be so that the roads ahead will touch again in the same unexpected way.

At least that's my vision. ant of course, nothing like a good handwritten letter, or at least a mail ;)

Blessings, good post, got me thinking a lot...