Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Writing, a creative therapy


Writing, a creative therapy
La escritura, una terapia creativa
April 10, 2012
By: Gina Yoryet Román

As of lately I’ve felt this huge abyss of solitude piercing right through my heart and it’s left me yearning for something unknown.

“Oh, it’s just the feeling of frustration, anger the next second, uncontrolled cravings a minute later, and a mix of emotions revolving within" – all of that is translated to “it’s that wonderful T. O. M. (Time of the month),” which happened the first day I went to the beach and vanished right when I came back . Perfect timing! No wonder I felt as if a volcano were about to erupt inside so I’ve been spending even more time alone because I can’t even stand myself.

That internal turmoil usually vanishes as soon as that ordeal is over-with but this time, it lay there more intense provoking more negative sentiments so while looking for the “why,” and questioning, “What kind of disorder can wreak such havoc (cause a lot of trouble or damage) in my spirit?” it finally dawned on me that I hadn’t written in 10 days!!! Ok that is only a little over a week but that is an amazingly huge deal for me as I’ve become very dependent and needy of it, it has turned into a therapy to recur to when things are shaky.

Writing, and praying have become my closest allies at every single moment of despair like when I’m under stress, when there’s an argument or disagreement in my family or with someone close, when things are not so rosy or when they don’t turn up the way they were planned, when/if emotion reaches me in a sudden stab, or even when I want to project my happiness or gratitude.

So what saddened me the last couple of days, was the simple fact of not having written for that long! I took a short vacation and I didn’t take my laptop deliberately to relax and get disconnected from the world because knowing me, I would’ve worked throughout my entire time off.

Last night I told myself, “I have to get at least a few lines down tomorrow!” Why am I rather persistent to write? Because one day I want to build a legacy, I want my words to represent the archive of “MY” history like Ralph Waldo Emerson once said, “Language is the archives of history.”

No comments: